Sam Nunberg (l.) arrives at the U.S. District Courthouse to appear before a grand jury on March 9, 2018. (J. Scott Applewhite/AP)
A former Trump campaign aide put his whirlwind media meltdown behind him on Friday and showed up at federal court in Washington for a scheduled grand jury appearance.
Sam Nunberg, who vowed to defy a subpoena from special counsel Robert Mueller in a series of interviews earlier in the week, did not speak to reporters as he entered court around 9 a.m.
The 36-year-old New Yorker’s public breakdown over his being targeted by Mueller’s Russia investigation had him thinking about undergoing treatment for alcohol abuse.
“I am a little worried about me, and I’ll talk more about it next week,” Nunberg told the Daily News on Tuesday.
A day earlier he appeared on numerous cable news shows and spoke to a number of reporters about his decision to ignore a subpoena that sought his appearance before a grand jury as well as correspondence with multiple other campaign officials.
But later that night, Nunberg told The Associated Press that he had relented and would wind up complying after all.
He said he had worked for hours to produce the thousands of emails and other communications requested by Mueller, who is investigating whether the Trump campaign improperly coordinated with Russia during the 2016 presidential election. Mueller requested communications Nunberg had with several people in Trump’s inner circle, including his “mentor” Roger Stone; Stephen Bannon, the former White House chief strategist, and Carter Page, the ex-foreign policy adviser.
Nunberg also said that being in touch with the special counsel’s office has been a grueling experience, and that he decided to go on TV because he wants people to know what it’s like.
“I just wanted people to know my story. Why do I have to get dragged through something like this?” he told The News.
So far, 19 people and three companies have been charged in Mueller’s investigation.
Among them are Trump’s former campaign chairman and the former White House national security adviser. Five people have pleaded guilty.