Sports world reacts to deadly shooting at Santa Fe High School

Sports world reacts to deadly shooting at Santa Fe High School

Houston Rockets point guard Chris Paul turned his attention Friday to offering condolences to the victims of a mass shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, that left 10 dead, saying the attack overshadows his typical focus on the NBA playoffs.

19 Mayıs 2018 - 02:00

Houston Rockets point guard Chris Paul turned his attention Friday to offering condolences to the victims of a mass shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, that left 10 dead, saying the attack overshadows his typical focus on the NBA playoffs.

"First and foremost, aside from the playoffs going on, which is minor compared to what is taking place down in Santa Fe," Paul told reporters as the Rockets practiced in Houston. "Our prayers going out to the victims and the families having to deal with that situation. We have a lot of fan support there. Those people come out and support us night in, night out. This is minor compared to what those people are dealing with."

A 17-year-old carrying a shotgun and a revolver opened fire at Santa Fe High School on Friday morning, killing 10 people, according to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott. Nine of the victims were students, Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said. Authorities also listed 10 people as injured in the attack.

One person was in custody on murder charges and a second person had been detained, Harris said.?The suspected shooter also had explosive devices, including a Molotov cocktail, that were found in the school and nearby, according to Abbott.

Santa Fe is about 30 miles from downtown Houston.

The Houston Astros?issued a statement Friday offering prayers to those affected by the shooting. They added that they'd hold a moment of silence in their honor before Friday night's game against the Cleveland Indians and that the Texas flags at Minute Maid Park would be flown at half-staff.

Speaking before Friday's game, Astros manager A.J. Hinch was pointed in his response to a question about the shooting.

"I knew that was going to be the first question, and obviously, we offer our condolences. But to be honest with you, it makes me angry," Hinch said. "I'm tired of talking about these situations. I know you guys have to ask and we have to respond, but it's heartbreaking. Again, another senseless act of violence in our schools."

He later added, "There's no reason for our schools to be combat zones."

Astros pitcher Lance McCullers, who said he is working on a plan to help a student who was among the 10 people wounded in the attack, says something has to change to stop this from happening again.

"I just feel like there's got to be some sort of solution," McCullers said. "My heart goes out to the families and the kids who shouldn't even have to worry about something like that."

Paul, defensive end J.J. Watt and the Houston Texans?were among those expressing sorrow and support for shooting victims on Twitter.

Friday's school shooting was the nation's deadliest such attack since February's massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Kaynak:Abcnews

YORUMLAR

  • 0 Yorum
Henüz Yorum Eklenmemiştir.İlk yorum yapan siz olun..
İLGİNİZİ ÇEKEBİLİR x
Brooklyn Belediyesinde Türk Gecesi
Brooklyn Belediyesinde Türk Gecesi
ABD Nüfusunun %14'ü Yabancı
ABD Nüfusunun %14'ü Yabancı